Sunday, May 26, 2013

#catbearding

Figure 1. The Minneapolis Star
Tribune 
posted this collage of their
Instagram followers' takes on the
latest Internet meme, "cat bearding"
(Star Tribune, 2013).
I must be getting old.

I came to this conclusion when I checked my Instagram feed this afternoon and saw – well, it's hard to describe. Just look to the right. It's the latest Internet meme, "cat bearding."

According to Shifman (2013), the term "Internet meme" refers to "the propagation of content items such as jokes, rumors, videos, or websites from one person to others via the Internet" (p. 362). Users often make their own versions of memes, as well. (I've done it, too!)

But this time, instead of wanting to participate, I just sighed.

Now, don't get me wrong; Cat bearding is really cute. Maybe I'm just all memed out. After all, we've had a pretty busy meme season, with countless versions of the Harlem Shake and auto-tuned remixes of Charles Ramsey's interview about the rescue of three Cleveland women.

Have you participated in any Internet memes? What are some of your favorites?

References

Shifman, L. (2013). Memes in a digital world: Reconciling with a conceptual troublemaker. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 18(3), 362-377. doi: 10.1111/jcc4.12013

Startribune. (2013, May 26). "Well played, people. Well played. #startribune #catbearding #cats. Keep them coming. Tag yours #STcat" [Instagram post]. Retrieved from http://instagram.com/p/ZylW7YgHCm/

7 comments:

  1. MEMES. Oh memes. As a habitual Tumblr user, I have seen my fair share, and I must tell you that you're not alone in being "memed out." I suppose I had a pretty high tolerance though; I've never watched any Harlem Shake or Gangnam Style videos. I think stuff like cat-bearing's ridiculously silly, but it still makes me smile, though even if I did own a cat, you'd probably not catch me participating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those poor cats. People obviously have to much time on their hands. Maybe they should take a Maymester course?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! Though I will say that this fad is an improvement over cat breading. If I ever did that to my cats, I'm pretty sure they'd scratch my face off.

      Delete
  3. First fingerstaches and now this. Next up: mutton-chopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit, I tried it. My cat, however, did not want to participate, as one can imagine. Don't judge me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's right there with dog shaming. That's kind of funny, but sad at the same time. Ah, cat bearding though, such an odd past time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The internet shall never tire of cats.

    ReplyDelete